Thursday, February 5, 2009

25 Random Things: So Much Better Than Homework

The other night, as I was getting into bed, my Blackberry announced a new Email arrival.  As usual, I immediately opened the document, only to be disappointed.  Another friend had tagged me in a "25 Random Things" Facebook note.  Being the fifth "25 Random Things" message I had received, I almost felt guilty for not having succumbed to the latest online trend.  But sleep prevailed and I did not think about it again.  

Today, picking up the New York Times to enjoy the weekly section of Thursday Styles, there it was - an article on the "25 Random Things" phenomena.  I realized I cannot escape it.  The epitome of homework procrastination and time wasting had followed me to my favorite newspaper.  

The best part of this "25 Random Things" phenomena is people's justifications.  For example, one note was titled "I am only doing 25 Random Things because my sister did."  Perfect.  But, let's be honest.  Deep down we love this stuff.  It's interesting, funny, peculiar and a great reason to not be productive.    

So, check it out for yourselves if you haven't already.  The New York Times article can be found here.  And if you haven't already, log onto Facebook and do your own "25 Random Things."  Or, be like me and simply spend 3 hours reading 25 random things about people you do not really know.  That research paper can wait, trust me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment