Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kittens of the Sea!

The United State is a country full of activist issues.  For every controversial topic, there is an activist group ready to tackle it.  In a country full of people who love to hunt and fish, there are thousands of other people who want to protect animals from such harm.

I learned a whole new element of the animal rights issue the other day when I came across PETA, People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, Web site.  At the time I found this site, I was supposed to be studying for a test, but what I saw was so much more interesting.  

Apparently, PETA has launched a campaign in hopes of renaming fish "sea kittens."  Yes, sea kittens.  One part of me was slightly embarrassed I had never before heard of these underwater kittens.  Another part of me was embarrassed for the public relations folk working on this campaign.  The third part of me fell in love with adorable depictions of mammalian fish; my personal favorite was the salmon sea kitten.

The Web site went on to explain PETA's mission and goals.  Basically, PETA wants to view fish as they would mammals.  I suppose they believe that by changing the expression from "fishing" to "hunting sea kittens," it may change people's perceptions of killing and eating fish.  I mean, who would want to be guilty of killing and eating a kitten?

On the Web site, visitors can make their own sea kittens and download sea kitten banners and computer desktop images.  PETA also provides visitors with a list of how to avoid the use of fish and fish products, such as eating vegetable sushi.

Now, as previously stated, I thought these sea kitten drawings were precious (though they somewhat reminded me of CatDog).  And, I love kittens.   But, I also love sushi.  I could eat Tekka Maki and Philadelphia rolls for days.  So, when I read the "eat vegetable sushi" suggestion, I found it a good time to go back to studying.

PETA's Sea Kitten Web site is a "must visit" if you haven't already.  It's interesting, full of adorable pictures and somewhat controversial.  Go check out the little underwater furballs so the next time you are SUPPOSED to be preparing for a test, you can strike up a healthy discussion on animal's rights issues.  It's definitely one way to procrastinate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment