Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tell the World Your Secrets

I originally heard of PostSecret last year.  My roommate and her boyfriend were obsessed with the idea of reading other people's secrets and general gossip.  My roommate, being a genuine      "gossip queen", took me to the PostSecret website.  We spent hours reading strangers' confessions, laughing at both the humorous and somewhat disturbing.  

The idea of Post Secret is ingenious.  Giving people a specific place to send their written confessions and secrets is evidently exactly what modern society needed.  For those who are unaware of Post Secret's premise, PostSecret is a blog composed of people's deepest, darkest secrets.  According to their website,  "PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail in their secrets anonymously on one side of a postcard."   

What I find interesting is society's love for this kind of thing.  Not only do we love reading other people's business, we love knowing everything about everyone.  My roommate was the perfect example of people who want to know more about everyone else.  Granted, not every individual has this obsession with other people's business.  Yet a large majority live for this kind of stuff, clearly.  Just look at Post Secret's success over the last couple of years.  

I admit, sometimes I don't want to email my boss back.  Sometimes I will have an exam at 7:45 a.m. the next day and do not want to study.  It is in these situations I find myself turning to PostSecret.  So give in to the urge; give in to your inner gossip queen/king and check out Post Secret if you have not already.   

No comments:

Post a Comment